Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived General > Scrapbooking Themes > Honor Our Heroes

Honor Our Heroes From firefighters to the military find and share ways to honor their special contributions

Old 09-30-2007, 04:28 PM
SAS-y Diamond

Default My Hero's

I'll happily be the first post in this forum. . My daughter and son-in-law are both volunteer firefighters in NY, and Andrew is also a paramedic in the NYC fire department. Shana is a 7th generation fire fighter on her Dad's side, and I'm so proud of her. Scared often, but proud always. She's a first lieutenant now, and ran for Fire Commissioner last year but lost by ONE vote!! And guess who didn't vote for her???? Her HUSBAND....lol. He didn't want her to be out of the house that much, and since they have 3 kids under 4, I can't really say I blame him. Just don't tell her I said that. :p

She fought her first fire after coming off of probation in a bikini...lol. Obviously she didn't PLAN that (or did she???), she was walking back from the beach and noticed smoke coming from an elderly neighbor's home. She called it in, but ran in to be sure the man wasn't hurt. She found him in his back yard holding a garden hose trying to put the fire out the poor lil guy. He wouldn't leave until the trucks got there, so my bikini clad daughter lifted him up and threw him over her shoulder as she'd been taught, but by then the house was engulfed with flames. She ran to the side gate, which was padlocked so her only choice was to go through the house just as the trucks were arriving. She ran through the smoke and blazing living room with this man over her shoulder, and just as she got to the front door the first of the firemen were coming in. She barreled through them and didn't realize until she hit the front yard that her hair was on fire!!!

She suffered 2nd degree burns on her head, face and back and lost most of her long blond hair, but never once regretted her decision. The Chief of course was ready to kill her....lol....but she did receive an accommodation from the state of NY for her bravery.

I've posted a layout of my hero here.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:23 PM
SAS-y Opal

Candee, that's amazing!! Your daughter is so amazing! It does my heart good to hear of such awesome people out there!!

My Blog My Gallery
Old 11-30-2007, 12:07 AM
theStudio Designer

Smile My Hero's

That is awesome about your kids Candee! God Bless all our Hero's!

here's my LO

http://www.stoneaccentsstudio.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4376&ppuser=566

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers