Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Creative Canvas > theStudio Hybrid Classes > Hybrid 101

Hybrid 101 Introduction to Hybrid led by Angel Hartline Designs.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:38 AM
theStudio Admin Team Member

Arrow Hybrid 101: Sharing the Love | Day 1: Approaching Hybrid

Welcome to Hybrid 101: Sharing the Love! I’m so excited to create this project and explore hybrid with you! This class is designed to explain the basics about hybrid and make the process easy peasy

Feel completely free to reply to the daily posts with any questions, comments or to share your progress on the project!

Let’s start by talking about the most common hybrid question I hear… what is hybrid scrapbooking? The term hybrid really covers a wide variety of techniques that combine digital and traditional crafting in some way.

Have you printed your journaling for a layout? You’ve scrapped hybrid.
Have you ever printed out a digital layout then added handwritten journaling or an embellishment? You’ve scrapped hybrid.

Hybrid offers the very best of both worlds… the absolute flexibility of digital combined with the charm and tactile appeal of traditional scrapping and crafting. Start with all the things that make digital so amazing: the ability to plan out your project and make as many changes as you want at any point, re-usable supplies, the ability to modify your supplies to suit your project… really we all could go on and on.

Instead of stopping there take it a step further and combine it with the things we all love about traditional crafting: making a little piece of yourself to give to a loved one, decorating a home for your family, creating something beautiful and expressive that you can see and touch every day. Hybrid allows me to make each project exactly what I want it to be. It’s handmade without limitations.

Just like in other forms of scrapbooking, there are many ways to approach hybrid and everyone has their own preferences. In my experience on opposite ends of the hybrid approach spectrum you have these two distinct options:
  • Creating most of your project digitally, then printing and adding embellishments.
  • Creating only select bits and pieces of your project digitally, printing and adding them to a traditional project.

Then there is every degree of combination in between those two extremes where I think most hybrid artists fall. Your own preferences will depend on your own comfort level with both digital and traditional crafting and what you’re trying to create. Whatever approach you choose, don’t be afraid to experiment. I really cannot stress this enough. Just remember that crafting is about expression, not about rights and wrongs.

1. Purchase the Our House Hybrid Template with the coupon code I sent you via PM.

2. Download and unzip your file.

To unzip a file on most computers, simply right-click the file and select ‘Extract’ or ‘Extract all’ from the menu. On the next options screen, select the location where you want to store the files for use. For example, I have a folder called ‘SB Kits’ where I extract all my kits for easy use before I move them to my files by designer.
  3. Think about how you want to approach this project and start gathering your supplies: photos, digital kit(s), physical supplies, and whatever else you want to use.
  4. Please answer my program poll. It will help me make sure my instructions are all clear for all of your if I’m more familiar with the program(s) you’re using.

Here are the digital kits I will be using to create my mini book:

Remember, you can use any supplies you want to create your mini book. While the Our House collection coordinates with my template, this is your project and the most important thing to me is that you love it!

That’s it for today! Tomorrow we’ll take a closer look at the templates and start scrapping. See you then!

PDF Printable of this Post: http://angelhartline.com/images/hybr... theStudio.pdf

Last edited by Angeltown; 08-23-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:58 AM
theStudio Admin Team Member

Default Re: Hybrid 101: Sharing the Love | Day 1: Approaching Hybrid

FYI by request: Added a link above to download a PDF Printable of this lesson.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:46 AM
theStudio Monet

thanks for the pdf's. i've been trying to save the tutorials, and now it's easy and convenient.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:34 AM
theStudio Scrapper

Glad to see the way you posted info was amazing and informative,so easy to understood and also very well authored thanks for all of your great work you done for us.
Damian Rossman