Photoshop Tip: How to use The Magic Wand
** This tutorial brought to you by BOOP Designs **
The Magic Wand Tool lets you select areas of an image based on similar shades of color simply by clicking on the desired color.
To use the Magic Wand Tool:
1) Select the Magic Wand Tool from the Toolbox.
2) Set the desired options in the Options Bar:
Choose whether to
- create a new selection,
- add to an existing selection,
- subtract from an existing selection, or
- intersect with the existing selection.
Enter a value from 0 to 255 in the Tolerance box. A low number will let you select colors very similar to the pixel you click; a high number will let you select a broader range of colors.
To select only adjacent areas using the same colors, select Contiguous. Otherwise, all pixels using the same colors will be selected.
Check or un-check the Contiguous option. If Contiguous is not selected, all pixels that are the same color as the selected pixel will be selected, wherever they occur in the image. Otherwise, only adjacent pixels of the same color will be selected.
3) Click the color you want to select.
*avatar created by Elaina, aka nightshadow ( her!)