Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived Events > Archived Events 2010 > theStudio Birthday Bash > Hybrid Challenge

Hybrid Challenge led by the scraptastic Michelle of Shelly Marie Scraps

Old 09-09-2010, 02:05 AM
theStudio Monet

Default My Story minibook Day SEVEN

Okay I am posting this at 12:47 am my time so it is already Thursday in case anyone is waiting for this day.

For Day Seven, we need to BIND them together.

I did not put holes in my templates on purpose so that you could put any size or number of holes in your minibook that you would like.

There are many ways to bind pages, but I keep mine easy and simple for both time constraint reasons and economical reasons

At this time I don't have my own binder, but I'd love to get one someday. I've seen some people simply use metal rings through the punched holes to keep pages together.

**I prefer ribbons for this project cause it really adds creativity to the prettiness

To save money, I looked through my house and found what I already had there, ribbon and tulle fabric. (left over from making my girls' doll clothes and tutus)

I took two different kinds of ribbon, cutting them about 6-8 inches long. Then cut the tulle fabric into strips of the same length as the ribbons.

Then I punched holes in my pages and inserted the two ribbons and tulle fabric strips in each hole and tied the pages together with knots.

Here are some pictures of my completed book:

Hope it makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions! No rush, but we'd love to see your finished project when you have a chance

Last edited by michellemarie; 09-10-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:23 PM
theStudio Picasso

Default Re: My Story minibook Day SEVEN

Here is some pics of my minibook
Heritage Minibook

Old 09-10-2010, 01:49 AM
theStudio QC CT

What did you use to punch the holes? I have a regular office style paper punch, but I don't believe the holes would be big enough to get ribbon through them easily.

Also do you think a person could either laminate the pages or cover them with clear contact paper? I would like to make the book tough enough that my grandaughter can handle it without the ink getting ruined from something getting spilled on it.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:10 PM
theStudio Hybrid CT

I was thinking the same thing! I am going to try laminating for the very same reason!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:43 PM
theStudio Monet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbwire View Post
What did you use to punch the holes? I have a regular office style paper punch, but I don't believe the holes would be big enough to get ribbon through them easily.

Also do you think a person could either laminate the pages or cover them with clear contact paper? I would like to make the book tough enough that my grandaughter can handle it without the ink getting ruined from something getting spilled on it.
I think laminating is a great idea, especially for younger children!

And I just used a craft hole punch that is slightly smaller than an office hole punch. I just rolled up the three ribbons and thread them through. Worked fine. I'll post the pictures here in a second

Old 09-10-2010, 10:45 PM
theStudio Monet

Here are some pictures of my completed book:

Old 09-11-2010, 01:22 PM
theStudio Hybrid CT

I will finish when I get back from out of town. I plan on laminating it first then bind with ribbon and tulle (loved that idea!). Thanks so much enjoyed it!

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...st-day&cat=all
http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...st-day&cat=all
Old 09-11-2010, 04:55 PM
theStudio Artist

I've had a random thought, as sometimes crafters do. Has anybody ever tried machine stitching photo paper to card stock papers? You know how digital stitching makes everything so cute, I thought about trying to do some machine stitching around the outer edges of the pages to bine photo paper to card stock paper before putting the whole book together. Just a thought.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:41 PM
theStudio Monet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janytime View Post
I've had a random thought, as sometimes crafters do. Has anybody ever tried machine stitching photo paper to card stock papers? You know how digital stitching makes everything so cute, I thought about trying to do some machine stitching around the outer edges of the pages to bine photo paper to card stock paper before putting the whole book together. Just a thought.
I totally thought of that, too! Just hadn't gotten out my sewing machine to try it yet Let us know how it turns out if you do it!

Old 09-11-2010, 05:53 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janytime View Post
I have and you just have to make sure that the stitches are long like you would do a top stitch with.... ziz zaz is good too. just don't have the stitch holes close.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:06 PM
theStudio Picasso

Here is my book. I didn't have any ribbon or anything to bind it with so I haven't put it together yet. It is all glued and ready for me to punch the holes once I get some ribbon.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:41 PM
theStudio QC CT

Here's a picture of the pages of my book. I have them printed, cutout, glued and inked. Just waiting on a trip to a store to buy laminating sheets (I'm all out). Then I can punch the holes and fasten with ribbon. I opted not to glue any extras on the cover since I'm giving it to a 2 1/2 year old. I'm sure she would try to pick anything off that I glued on it. LOL
This has been a very good class. Thank you Michelle.

Last edited by Barbwire; 09-12-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: forgot the link
Old 09-12-2010, 07:42 PM
theStudio QC CT

I got digging around in my craft stash and found a roll of 'Peel & Stick" laminating film so managed to finish my project. Now that stuff is a challenge to apply without getting wrinkles in it. No mistakes allowed either or you're reprinting pages. I was so afraid that would happen...I think I held my breath everytime I laid a page down onto the sticky surface. Whew!! so glad that part is over, but it strengthened the pages even more than they were before.
I also found a heart punch which I used to punch the holes for the ribbon. The resulting holes were a little small and threading the ribbon plus two strands of cotton yarn through them was difficult so I made myself a 'needle' each time. I wrapped a piece of Scotch tape around the tip of the ribbon and yarn and it stiffened it up enough to make it easy to shove it through the hole. Then I just cut the sticky end with the tape off when it was through.
Hope this helps anyone else who is struggling to get their ribbon through their holes.
Here's a pic of the minibook all done ready to give to my grandaughter.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:01 PM
theStudio Warhol

an in process and 2 finished (semi-finished)

http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...ished&cat=1160
Old 09-12-2010, 11:09 PM
theStudio Monet

Oh these look so awesome!!! Thanks for the tips on threading the ribbon, too! You sound like me putting the laminating on. I feel like I really have to work at hands on craft stuff. But it's nice when you're done! Great ideas!

And the books all look so wonderful!!! I can't believe some of you have done more than one book. I need to get at least two more done because I can't only do ONE of my three kids. haha And my other daughter keeps asking where her book is, especially since I let her take it to church today.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:59 AM
theStudio Monet

For those of you that have completed this project, I am working on getting the links to this mini kit that you will receive for playing! And for more information on all the other challenges you can participate in and what kits you can get to add to your Blueberry Collection, click on the image.

Created by Tracy aka Ambowife Designs:

Old 09-19-2010, 08:37 AM
theStudio Picasso

My day 7-8; http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...ry_pg7-8SM.jpg
Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 AM
theStudio Picasso

Everyones pages are awesome.
I'm making a few more before I put my together.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 PM
theStudio Artist

This is so kool, lovin' it. Thank you so much for the great ideas here.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:33 AM
theStudio Picasso

Thanks, Michelle. This was fun. I am anxious to get our printer problems solved so I can print this out. It turned out better than I had thought it would at first. I think I will be doing more of these books. Here is a preview of my pages. http://www.digitalscrapbookingstudio...dchallenge.jpg