Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Creative Canvas > theStudio Tutorials

theStudio Tutorials September 2010: A brandnew forum for tutorials. There will be a weekly new tutorial from theStudio Design Team but you are welcome to post your own.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:47 PM
theStudio Owner

From the Piggy PS: Knockout Style for Quickpages

This one is for all of you who love to make a Quickpage/BragBook/Album set with your kits. I know my old way of doing it is a very common way. It is also a very tedious, annoying, time-consuming way. You know, where you select the area under a frame and then delete each bit under it? To get everything nice & clean for the final product? NO MORE!

Introducing my, free, CU-okay, knockout style! Simply create a placeholder, one that you would normally clip a photo to, apply my knockout style and voila! All layers beneath the placeholder magically disappear... only to easily reappear by turning off the placeholder layer.

Before:

As you can see, I've got my background layer (note that it is unlocked). My placeholder, and then my frame. This way, I don't see anything I might tuck under my frame... however, it is still there when I turn off the placeholder.

After:

I have applied my free knockout style to the placeholder layer. Now everything layered below this will be invisible. That is everything that is "covered" by the placeholder will be invisible. Simply turn off invisibility by clicking on the "eye" symbol next to the placeholder symbol to turn on all the invisible parts. It is really that simple.

The easiest way for you to try this is to download, unzip and drag my CU-okay Knockout style into your style palette.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE KNOCKOUT STYLE

Or, follow these simple directions:

In photoshop you can "knockout" all the layers underneath that layer. Soooo absolutely ideal for making quickpages. Here's how:
  • go to add layer style
  • choose blending options
  • Set fill opacity to 0%
  • Set knockout to deep
Note: background layer must be unlocked

Lots of smooches,

Toiny

my email
Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 PM
theStudio Scrapper

Default Re: PS: Knockout Style for Quickpages

I just read about this in the newsletter and downloaded it. I can't wait to try it out. Thanks so much for sharing, it is much appreciated.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:21 AM
theStudio Princess

I have also just read the newsletter and am a little confused (I'm a newbie at this) I use Photoshop does that mean that I don't download the "place holder" and just follow the instructions for Photoshop? I have tried doing that but my frame vanishes and not the area inside the frame. Am I doing something wrong?

ladyweir x
Old 09-10-2010, 04:01 PM
theStudio Princess

I am really new to all of this and barely know how to use a quick page much less create one. Do you have to use photo shop to make a quick page? I would love to participate in some of these quick page exchanges, but I don't know how to make a quick page and don't use photo shop.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:59 AM
theStudio Monet

this is awesome. thanks so much. it's just what i've needed.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:18 AM
NDC Contestant 2010

gonna give it a go with PSPX just to see if this is quicker than the way l do it?
Thanks for the tuts....
Old 09-13-2010, 02:56 AM
theStudio Picasso

Thanks Toiny -- this is a trick I know but always forget, and now it gets even easier!!
Old 09-18-2010, 08:22 PM
theStudio Admin Team Member

I'm going to give this a try. Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:53 AM
theStudio Designer

I used this in Photoshop CS4 and it worked great. I took a layout I had made while still in layered format and just went to each layer a photo was on and applied the style to that layer. Made that layer and the space it took on all layers below "invisible". Repeated on each photo layer and then did a Merge Visible and saved as a .png - viola - quick page.

It was GREAT and super duper speedy!