Go Back   theStudio > theStudio Creative Canvas > theStudio Tutorials

theStudio Tutorials September 2010: A brandnew forum for tutorials. There will be a weekly new tutorial from theStudio Design Team but you are welcome to post your own.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:06 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Default How to color fill & add stroke for sticker effect

** this tutorial brought to you by Kimberkatt Scraps **

(previously used for the Feb10 Decorate Your Wordart challenge)

HOW TO COLOR FILL & ADD STROKE FOR STICKER EFFECT:
(I use PSE, so I'm hoping these little tutorials will work/adapt for whichever program you may use)
  1. Start a new 12X12, 300ppi canvas
  2. Open the PNG wordart file & drag onto your new canvas - I left it large, so it should fill up your 12X12 canvas and be easy to work with
  3. This is where we add some color! Choose your "magic wand" tool.
  4. Make sure you are on the wordart layer & click inside the large black "Smile" text. Repeat for each letter, if necessary, until the entire word has the "marching ants" around it.
  5. Next, choose the color you wish to use, select the Paint Fill tool, and click inside the "marching ants" to fill your black text with some color!
  6. A little explanation as to why I select the text first, instead of just filling with color: If you don't select the object you want to color, the paint fill can bleed and distort your edges. The "marching ants" around the text gives your program a stopping point and keeps the edges of your shape crisp & smooth.
  7. Now, you have a choice from here. You can repeat the steps for the "I love your" part of the wordart and fill with a different color, or you can choose to leave that part black, it's up to you!
  8. Next, it's time to make it look like a sticker! This is sooo very easy!
  9. Make sure your wordart layer is selected, then go to Edit->Stroke(outline)Selection
  10. Another box should pop up where you can choose your settings. In the top box (width) is where you set how thick of a stroke you want to use. I typically use between 10-30 for a sticker look. For my example above, I used a stroke of 15pixels.
  11. The next box, color, is where you choose which color to stroke with. I used White (ffffff), so click on the box and the color picker should pop up for you to choose. You don't have to stick with white, though... you can choose whichever color you want!
  12. Next, make sure your Location is set to "outside", so it will stroke around the edges of your text.
  13. Leave the Blending options at Normal, 100% and Preserve Transparency UNchecked.
  14. Click OK and you should now see your stroke around your wordart!
  15. And that's all folks! You should now have a colored wordart, with a sticker look! Pretty easy, right?
Old 09-28-2010, 11:29 PM
theStudio Artist

Default Re: How to color fill & add stroke for sticker effect

I tried to do this a few weeks back and could not get. Thanks I am going to redo it now.