Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived General > Learning Center and Software Solutions > Newbie Frequently Asked Questions

Old 07-26-2007, 03:12 AM
theStudio Warhol

Question What is this File for?

Hi everyone, I notice with the downloads of some files for eg. Julie's Butterfly Garden....there is a small file named .BridgeSort can anyone tell me what this file is for and if I need to keep it with the download folder? I have been puzzled about this for a while now and finally got up the courage to actually ask a question somewhere

Hugs - ljd (Linda)
Old 07-26-2007, 03:13 AM
theStudio Warhol

oops forgot to ask what is the ( ._.DS_Store ) file for too?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:41 AM
SAS-y Pearl

i have no idea for what this file is,
but you donīt need it and you can delete it
Old 07-26-2007, 05:47 AM
SAS-y Pebble

Yanno, I always delete those two files and that thumbs file out of a zip or rar when I first download it too. So far I've not had anything blow up cuz I got rid of 'em.
hugs, ZeeP
Old 07-26-2007, 01:50 PM
SAS-y Pebble

I think those are from the program that Julie uses. I think I checked a while back ago when I first found her and found that there is usually the same amt of each. (ones that open and ones that don't) I'm not positive but I think they are named the same except for the begining) I go in and delete those and have NEVER had a problem. Hope this helps. I'm gonna go to my recycle bin and pull one out and check it out.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:02 PM
SAS-y Pebble

Well, I'm correct in some of it. If you count the images that are jpgs and pngs they are the same. I have seen this sort of stuff for a long time and if it has that stuff that I can't open I just delete it.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:06 PM
theStudio Artist

I had no idea that there was any kind of file like that in my folders. The Bridge part might be from my file browser. I use Adobe Bridge which is part of Photoshop and the CS Suite. Or it could be a Mac thing.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:31 PM
SAS-y Diamond

I don't think it is a Mac thing because I have them in my files too. I think that you are right about it being from Adobe bridge though.

Janalyn's Place Blog
Old 07-26-2007, 09:31 PM
SAS-y Pebble

I wasn't sure what these files were either but since I couldn't open them I just deleted them.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:06 AM
SAS-y Gem

I used to always delete them and then later made my own conclusion that it might be MAC files. The reason for this conclusion was that with some freebies there is a folder for MAC also and then the files are also written that way. OR it might be for some program that none of us know of!!!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 11:52 AM
theStudio Warhol

Thumbs up

Many thanks to you all for your answers..I will leave them as they are for now, they are only tiny files so as I come across them I will delete them or do a Search and delete them that way, it helps to save any space at all! all the more for goodies... hahahah
Old 07-30-2007, 06:30 PM
SAS-y Scrapper

Thank you for being brave and asking questions. I can't wait to go through my files and delte-delete-delete
Old 07-30-2007, 08:26 PM
SAS-y Pearl

I know thismight offend someone, but hey, I find the "No Piracy" graphic files a little redundent and remove them too... so I can free up space for the scraps I love. I keep ALL of the TOU files though, honest injun.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:50 PM
SAS-y Pearl

i remove those anti-piracy files too,
they just need space
and thereīs nothing in them i donīt know.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:47 PM
SAS-Y Lady

If you are unsure what a file is you can always search it on Google and it will tell you what type of file it is. Also removing a thumb file can mess up your files. The computer keeps it there because it holds the images of the included files. It won't always mess them up and actually will most likely replace itself but if you are having computer issues it could mess up your files. I do delete the No-Piracy files and multiple preview files myself lol.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:56 AM
SAS-y Gem

All your messages are such good help for those that don't know. Would like to know why I also have double files, when I download Julie's files, which I delete because I can't open the duplicates? Does anyone know?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:30 AM
theStudio Warhol

TWOISISOMEGA.. do you mean the files like this "._Stone Accents, Feelin Wonderful, 1, 02" ?
Someone said sometime that they were possibly the program that Julie uses, possibly mac files,and it was OK to delete them
Old 08-11-2007, 10:35 AM
theStudio Warhol

P.S. I delete the piracy files too, I keep all the TOU though
Old 08-11-2007, 10:44 AM
theStudio Warhol

Default just found this on a forum

.BridgeSort is the file which dictates how the files are sorted when viewed in Bridge (i.e name; date; extension etc.). Normally this is a hidden file and can be safely deleted (but sorting will resort to the default in Bridge next time you view the folder in Bridge and a new version of .BridgeSort will be then created).

..DS_Store is a MacOS X file
This file is generated by Bridge when you manually sort images in a folder.

The .DS_Store files are created by the Finder during its normal course of operation but they are invisible by default. The Finder will automatically put a .DS_Store file into every folder you have opened. These files are used to save the positions of icons, the size of the respective Finder window, the window's background, and many more view options. While professional users consider the .DS_Store files to be a design flaw of the Mac OS X Finder, a mechanism like this is necessary when opening Finder windows for exchangeable disk media to give former users of the classic Mac OS the same user experience they had in previous operating system versions. If you don't like to see the .DS_Store files, replace the Finder by a better file management application.

Hope this info helps you all.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:34 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Wow, thanks for all this. I've been deleting files I can't open as well as it looked like they were duplicates of some sort. I delete the 'no piracy' files also, I agree anything to save space