Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived General > Learning Center and Software Solutions > Critique Corner

Critique Corner Post links to your layouts that you want honest constructive criticism on.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:04 AM
SAS-y Pearl

Default For aldercreek

In another thread in this section, you asked for some Critiquing to better your layout skills. I moved to a new thread so that we can keep each request for CC in a separate thread... easier for keeping track of which CC is for whom...

I chose a random layout of yours since you didn't send a specific one for review. Here is the one I chose.

http://www.stoneaccentsstudio.com/ga...php?photo=2812

Now on to my humble opinion and advice:

Overall: This is a beautiful layout. And the angel is a great element for the sentiment of the photo. You chose some of the best elements from the kit too!

- I am a stickler myself about the linear elements of a layout. For example, your beads run at an angle, as does your text. I would prefer if the text and beads ran at the same angle. My eye can only move in one direction at a time and this would make it so they seemed more... complementary to each other. I also feel that the message in your text is more important than it looks at a glance, maybe make it a little bigger and easier to read that way since it is in that flourishy font.

- When printing this layout, will the flowers on the top corner really have a wow factor since the color is so close to the color of the background paper? I think they would have more wow factor if they were either in that contrasting yellow color or if they were on a different color background, maybe a little patch. I am not sure what is available in the kit you used... I kinda feel the same way about the angel. It doesn't have as much punch to it as it sorta blends in with the background. Both are beautiful elements, but on this background they lose some of their flavor.

Remember, the purpose of the Critique Corner is just to get advice, it doesn't mean you have to use it But these are my humble opinions. I think this layout is quite lovely but a few little tweaks could make it really stand out.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:49 PM
theStudio Warhol

Thanks Pillowgirl!!

I was torn on the angle of the text. I created the cluster as a separate file, imported it into the layout, then added the text. I didn't really pay attention to the angle of the beads until I was trying to position the text, and I wasn't sure if I should follow the beads or the edge of the paper. So your suggestion is very helpful. I'll play around with different ways of accenting the flowers and the angel and see what I come up with. Thanks for the suggestions!!

my blog
Old 10-22-2007, 11:21 AM
theStudio Warhol

http://www.stoneaccentsstudio.com/ga...182&ppuser=457

Here's the link to a revised layout, using the improvements that were suggested. Let me know what you think.

my blog
Old 10-22-2007, 11:26 AM
SAS-y Pearl

I left a comment on the layout, great job!