Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived Events > Archived Events 2011 > theStudio Birthday Bash 2011 > Next Designer Contest 2011

Next Designer Contest 2011
Official Studio Time
Round 1: Starts September 1, 6:00 am Ends September 5, 24:00 pm
Round 2: Starts September 8, 6:00 am Ends September 12, 24:00 pm
Round 3: Starts September 15, 6:00 am Ends September 19, 24:00 pm
Round 4: Starts September 22, 6:00 am Ends September 26, 24:00 pm

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 09-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Cabalistic's Avatar
Cabalistic Cabalistic is offline
theStudio Artist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Biddeford, Maine
Posts: 132
Default Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggyscraps View Post
I've updated the FAQ's, Questions & Answers. Please let me know if I missed one, or if you have an entirely new question! I know the first round is always the most nerve-wracking. We are here to help make it less so.

oops missed mine in the shuffle!


Would Borders (like for edges) or overlays be considered elements?
__________________
  #122  
Old 09-03-2011, 08:53 AM
kimberkatt's Avatar
kimberkatt kimberkatt is offline
theStudio Party Girl
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 10,156
Default Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

In my opinion, I would say yes, but you may want to wait for the "official" word
__________________
Kimberly
*avatar created by Elaina, aka nightshadow ( her!)
  #123  
Old 09-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Paper Capers Designs's Avatar
Paper Capers Designs Paper Capers Designs is offline
theStudio Designer
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 260
Default Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

Can we do more than 12 unique elements? I understand we can do color variation, but can more than 12 elements be used in our entries?
  #124  
Old 09-03-2011, 08:58 AM
katlen124's Avatar
katlen124 katlen124 is offline
theStudio Warhol
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 773
Default Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareraisers2 View Post
Opps, I created one more paper than I need and now can't decide which one to discard, what a dilemma!!!

oooh! freebie extra on the blog started ....
Probably need to create one more then decide
__________________
KatLen . KatLen Kreations Take a look at my SAS Gallery
  #125  
Old 09-03-2011, 09:07 AM
kimberkatt's Avatar
kimberkatt kimberkatt is offline
theStudio Party Girl
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 10,156
Default Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickilyn View Post
Can we do more than 12 unique elements? I understand we can do color variation, but can more than 12 elements be used in our entries?
I'm pretty sure Toiny wants you to stick to just 12

But, if you do make extra you are more than welcome to offer up an addon on your blog to help draw more people in to download your contest kit This is a great opportunity for you to gain extra exposure for your designs!

If you are offering up extra blog freebies to coordinate, you can utilize our Member Giveaways Forum and post a link to your blog in your gallery posting
__________________
Kimberly
*avatar created by Elaina, aka nightshadow ( her!)
  #126  
Old 09-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Cabalistic's Avatar
Cabalistic Cabalistic is offline
theStudio Artist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Biddeford, Maine
Posts: 132
Default Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

Thanks Kimberly, I'll wait to see what the official word is.
__________________
  #127  
Old 09-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Nadauh Nadauh is offline
theStudio Scrapper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 30
Default Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

Okay, I just decided.. I'm trying to do this! Just a quick question: May I create an alpha and is that considered to be one element?
Thanks ahead!
  #128  
Old 09-03-2011, 12:15 PM
digitalscrapfun's Avatar
digitalscrapfun digitalscrapfun is offline
theStudio Hybrid CT
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 143
Default Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

Okay, I am playing. I finally got some inspiration today. I just need to get it all packaged up.
Fun, fun, fun!!!
  #129  
Old 09-03-2011, 12:21 PM
digitalscrapfun's Avatar
digitalscrapfun digitalscrapfun is offline
theStudio Hybrid CT
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 143
Default Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

Oh boy, I should have read things again today. I tossed around ideas for a few days and finally got something done. However, I forgot that part of the challenge was staying true to pale colors. I only used a couple of the colors and I used too much of the darker blue to look like a pastel kit. I really do not like pastel colors very much. Now I don't know if I should turn it in. I really like the way it turned out though. Ugh, what to do!!!
  #130  
Old 09-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Toiny's Avatar
Toiny Toiny is offline
theStudio Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 9,800
From the Piggy Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

A border would be an element, but be careful with the "unique" factor. If it is composed of existing papers & elements, in this case, it would not qualify as unique.

A full overlay, 12X12, would be considered a paper.

HTH's!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabalistic View Post
oops missed mine in the shuffle!


Would Borders (like for edges) or overlays be considered elements?
__________________
---------------







my email
  #131  
Old 09-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Toiny's Avatar
Toiny Toiny is offline
theStudio Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 9,800
From the Piggy Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

Pale colors are notoriously difficult to work with, this is part of the challenge. That doesn't mean you would be out of the running by using only the darker colors. The requirement was to stick to colors in the palette, not to all the colors. It's a toss-up.

You do have more time left on the official clock, perhaps work at throwing some paler things in? And then giveaway the darker stuff as an add-on via your blog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalscrapfun View Post
Oh boy, I should have read things again today. I tossed around ideas for a few days and finally got something done. However, I forgot that part of the challenge was staying true to pale colors. I only used a couple of the colors and I used too much of the darker blue to look like a pastel kit. I really do not like pastel colors very much. Now I don't know if I should turn it in. I really like the way it turned out though. Ugh, what to do!!!
__________________
---------------







my email
  #132  
Old 09-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Cabalistic's Avatar
Cabalistic Cabalistic is offline
theStudio Artist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Biddeford, Maine
Posts: 132
Default Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

Thanks for the info, that makes things a bit easier for me.
__________________
  #133  
Old 09-03-2011, 01:00 PM
apupplo apupplo is offline
theStudio Artist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 302
Default Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

Ok part of my question was answered..... I have some of the lighter colors in my papers but also alot of the darker... doesnt look like a "pastel" kit but I am sticking to the palette.... will this hurt my chances of going on to the next round? I am on limited time and it has taken me 2 days to make the 5 papers. I just want to make sure they are alright before I move on to the elements.

Next question.... I know you gave us "daybreak" as a theme but I am having a hard time putting this to paper... I let the colors lead me and I love what I have done, however, it seems so much more out of the box than I have already seen in the gallery. Is the theme something we can just let the colors let us go with?

I hope that all makes sense as I am not feeling well today and nothing seems to be coming out the way it should be.
  #134  
Old 09-03-2011, 02:07 PM
A-Manda Creation's Avatar
A-Manda Creation A-Manda Creation is offline
theStudio Designer
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 256
Default Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

Do I have to have a certain number of posts in the forums before I can upload photos to the gallery? Trying to upload my submission for week 1
  #135  
Old 09-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Fran98765 Fran98765 is offline
theStudio Scribbler
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
Default Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Manda Creation View Post
Do I have to have a certain number of posts in the forums before I can upload photos to the gallery? Trying to upload my submission for week 1
No, I have like no posts and was able to upload to the gallery.
  #136  
Old 09-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Fran98765 Fran98765 is offline
theStudio Scribbler
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
Default Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

Here is mine. I really like the colors and how it turned out!

  #137  
Old 09-03-2011, 02:10 PM
kimberkatt's Avatar
kimberkatt kimberkatt is offline
theStudio Party Girl
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 10,156
Default Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

technically, yes, you are supposed to have 5 posts total (either forum posts or gallery comments) before you can upload to the gallery... but sometimes some of you guys sneak through the back door! lol We can't figure it out, so it's best to make sure you have the 5 posts first!
__________________
Kimberly
*avatar created by Elaina, aka nightshadow ( her!)
  #138  
Old 09-03-2011, 02:22 PM
mrscwooddell's Avatar
mrscwooddell mrscwooddell is offline
theStudio Warhol
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Texas
Posts: 845
Default Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

Here is mine...

Very fun...think I got all the requirements! lol
__________________
  #139  
Old 09-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Toiny's Avatar
Toiny Toiny is offline
theStudio Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 9,800
From the Piggy Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

No, but you do have to be "human verified" and I just did that. You should be able to post now.



Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Manda Creation View Post
Do I have to have a certain number of posts in the forums before I can upload photos to the gallery? Trying to upload my submission for week 1
__________________
---------------







my email
  #140  
Old 09-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Toiny's Avatar
Toiny Toiny is offline
theStudio Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 9,800
Default Re: NDC Round 1: Daybreak

You should have at least some paler elements and/or papers to fulfill the challenge of working with a pale palette.

The theme is a little more flexible, let it be more your inspiration than something that is holding you back.

I wish you well & feeling better soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apupplo View Post
Ok part of my question was answered..... I have some of the lighter colors in my papers but also alot of the darker... doesnt look like a "pastel" kit but I am sticking to the palette.... will this hurt my chances of going on to the next round? I am on limited time and it has taken me 2 days to make the 5 papers. I just want to make sure they are alright before I move on to the elements.

Next question.... I know you gave us "daybreak" as a theme but I am having a hard time putting this to paper... I let the colors lead me and I love what I have done, however, it seems so much more out of the box than I have already seen in the gallery. Is the theme something we can just let the colors let us go with?

I hope that all makes sense as I am not feeling well today and nothing seems to be coming out the way it should be.
__________________
---------------







my email
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.