Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived Events > Archived Events 2011 > theStudio Birthday Bash 2011 > Next Designer Contest 2011

Next Designer Contest 2011
Official Studio Time
Round 1: Starts September 1, 6:00 am Ends September 5, 24:00 pm
Round 2: Starts September 8, 6:00 am Ends September 12, 24:00 pm
Round 3: Starts September 15, 6:00 am Ends September 19, 24:00 pm
Round 4: Starts September 22, 6:00 am Ends September 26, 24:00 pm

Old 09-01-2011, 06:50 AM
theStudio Owner

From the Piggy FAQ's, Questions & Answers

We will work hard to repost questions asked throughout the contest here, in one easy place. This ensures everyone has access to all the same information.
  1. When you say solid papers you mean without texture, without nothing, just solid with a single color?
    I mean solid with texture. Even with some variation of color throughout, or on the edges. I mean without pattern. Please do use texture.
  2. I am just double checking on this due date/time... so this is due at the 'stroke of midnight' on the 5th, meaning we only have 3.5 days (from posting time) to work on this (being due the minute after 11:59 PM on the 4th)? Is that correct?
    Nope. You have all of the 5th. I was hoping by using the 24-hr clock it would be clear. You have the full 24 hours of the 5th to work.
  3. When you say "12 unique elements." Do you mean themed elements or would buttons,stitches, etc etc normal essential things be included in the 12?
    Any element is fine, whether themed or basic (ie buttons, stitches, flowers). Unique means one-of-a-kind. In other words: if you have the same bow 3 times, but only recolored, it is not unique. Now, if you have 3 completely different bows, that would equal 3 unique elements.
    It can get murky if you have a bow, a button and then a clustered element using that bow & that button. I would recommend staying away from this practice for this round.
  4. Is there a certain amount of colors from the palette we are required to use, or any combination of those provided?
    Any or all. Your choice.
  5. Should we provide credit for any CU items we use, even if they have "no credit required" terms in their TOU for the purpose of the contest?
    It is always a nice thing to do, but it is not required.
  6. Can we use silver or some other type of metal in our elements?
    While metals specifically aren't excluded, they would need to match the palette. That is notoriously tricky to do. The answer is yes, but be very careful!
  7. Do we have to have exactly 12 elements? I understand that we must have 12 unique items but if we wish to provide something with a variation of color are we allowed?
    Go for it! As long as you have those 12 unique items...
  8. Another question, is an embossed paper (all one color) considered solid or patterned?
    I consider that solid. However, I'm open for debate on this one.
  9. Now that I have my submission in are we allowed to blog about it and offer a freebie to draw the public in to download it?
    Absolutely! This is a great opportunity for digiland to get to know you as a Designer. Blogging & freebies will not affect the judging because it is only the Design & Admin Team onsite that will be voting. Go for it.
  10. Are we meant to be doing layouts as well once we've completed the kit?
    Nope. No need. Usually it's the members who created a Layout and want to show the Designer what they did with their kit.
  11. If you use a paper that you've created for the contest to create an element with, would that element be deemed to still be unique?
    Yes. That elements is unique. Only recoloring the same element would make it not unique, or clustering several elements to make a new element.
  12. Should we do seperate previews for papers and elements, or is it enough to make 1 preview for the kit.
    One preview is all.

my email

Last edited by Toiny; 09-03-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:54 PM
theStudio Scrapper

Default Re: FAQ's, Questions & Answers

where do i send the challenge file
Old 09-03-2011, 07:25 PM
theStudio Scrapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by famwally View Post
where do i send the challenge file
From what I understand, we are to upload our zip file to the hosting site of our choice, and publish the URL in our gallery submission.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:19 PM
theStudio Artist

I've notice some use of other colors not in the pallet, is this okay? I shied away from some of my designs because they required a certain color that wasn't in the pallet.

My Blog
Old 09-06-2011, 07:32 PM
jusmedigital

what will be the criteria for making it through to the next round? will quality be considered or is it by the look of the designs?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:53 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Liv View Post
I've notice some use of other colors not in the pallet, is this okay? I shied away from some of my designs because they required a certain color that wasn't in the pallet.
I noticed it too. A part of being a designer is sticking to the pallet for the project- like site collabs and such. I would assume the judges are taking note of stuff like that. Sometimes projects will allow some greenery or black and white are assumed to be okay as accents but since none of that was specified in the rules this round I stayed away from it. Especially since it was specifically said that metals needed to match the swatch.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:35 AM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Liv View Post
Good question Liv, I noticed too and wondered about the same. Since I have some sun motifs going on in my kit, I SO wanted to use yellow but didn't for obvious reasons. Toiny's rules/specifications for the challenge stated
Quote:
Use the above color palette & theme to create a mini-kit. You may add black & white if needed.
and since she later mentioned that 'metal' items needed to match the color palette, I'm pretty sure that we made the correct choice in avoiding other colors in our designs. However, this being the first round and there being so many kits for the judges to work with, I imagine that they might let that slip for this round, don't know, but then be more strict about it in other rounds. Just my guess.

MY PERSONAL BLOG (life after a CVA)
Old 09-07-2011, 02:46 PM
theStudio Artist

I hope it helps my chances that I stayed strictly within the rules. My preview was slap-dash; I thought the judges would be looking at everyone's kit! Duh, you'd think I would realize that it wouldn't be possible for them to look at each and every kit, but ... I didn't know so many gifted people would be entering!

My Blog
Old 09-07-2011, 02:51 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmedigital View Post
what will be the criteria for making it through to the next round? will quality be considered or is it by the look of the designs?
After seeing what the judges have to go through, I'm not sure of anything anymore! To think they had to look at least, 75 kits? And in such a short period of time . . . I'm thinking I need to be content with all the nice things said about my entry and learn from the experience!

My Blog