Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived Events > Archived Events 2011 > theStudio Birthday Bash 2011 > Next Designer Contest 2011

Next Designer Contest 2011
Official Studio Time
Round 1: Starts September 1, 6:00 am Ends September 5, 24:00 pm
Round 2: Starts September 8, 6:00 am Ends September 12, 24:00 pm
Round 3: Starts September 15, 6:00 am Ends September 19, 24:00 pm
Round 4: Starts September 22, 6:00 am Ends September 26, 24:00 pm

Old 09-14-2011, 11:56 AM
theStudio Scribbler

Default Re: NDC 2011: Round 2 "Summer Afternoon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplantier View Post
I give. What is TARDIS?
The time machine from the British tv show in the 60s/70s Dr Who.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:08 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakleidesigns View Post
I used to have premium in mediafire and everybody was so happy, specially my CT, then I started to have issues, couldn't upload anything, same happened to Dropbox, and I just hate 4 shared, so I guess is something regional, because some people from some countries can't access to a few hosting files like megaupload, mediafire, etc...so now, I found a new one called FileHat.com which works wonderful and fast for me, but not for others, so is such a mess, I just purchased my own web host today so I can have my own stuff for a few days and direct links, etc...is cheaper at the end when you do the maths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by missys_bits View Post
I got tired of all the download sites and just bought hosting. Its fairly inexpensive and I was able to set up a CT forum too. Which is a blessing since my shops seem to be closing on me about once a year! Sugar Moon and I share our forum and the idea is that sales from our collab kits will cover the cost of the hosting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmedigital View Post
i agree hosting really isn't that bad - especially when you get a good deal! i really don't like 4shared (waiting for 5 minutes for a download - i'm old - i forget it's running in the background and i close the browser )
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipsNSnails View Post
Drop box will not allow you the kind of downloading that takes place when you host a freebie there. They will suspend your account. I use dropbox with my CT, half of them also have dropbox so we share the folder rather than download and I generate download links for the others through dropbox and that doesn't seem to be a problem, maybe 2-3 downloads a day sporadically. Freebies will get hundreds of downloads a day and dropbox does not like that! box.net is another hosting option.
Have any of you tried Skydrive through Windows live yet? I have a hotmail account, so I use Skydrive all the time! It's free, it's direct link/download, really easy to use and most of the downloaders I've heard feedback from really like it! The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't keep track of downloads, so you have to use a URL shortener service, like bit.ly to keep track of clicks... but it's fairly easy to convert the links...
Old 09-14-2011, 12:32 PM
theStudio Designer

according to Wikipedia, it is a time machine/spacecraft in Dr. Who LOL

Old 09-14-2011, 12:43 PM
theStudio Artist

Kimberly, I didnt know anything about it. I don't plan to give up my hosting so I probably wont try but its good to know
Old 09-14-2011, 01:11 PM
theStudio Artist

TARDIS =Time And Relative Dimentions In Space. From Dr.Who. You can watch it on saturdays if you're interested in sci-fi stuff. BBC America in the states. or BBC one in UK. sorry, don't know other channels
It's become relatively popular once again. Starting up again with Christopher Eccelson (sp?) to David Tennant (♥) to now Matt Smith.
Sorry, got a bit geeky on y'all
Old 09-14-2011, 01:19 PM
theStudio Owner

LOL I did not know what TARDIS stood for, but I used to be a big Dr. Who fan, haven't watched since season one of the new Who. I think I might have some catching up to do!

Please get your geek on all you want, I think we are all more geek than not here.

my email
Old 09-14-2011, 01:25 PM
theStudio Artist

Dr. Who. I should have remembered but that memory fragment obviously is living in another time and/or space. A lot of my memories seem to be residing in those places at the moment. Thanks for reminding me.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:28 PM
theStudio Scribbler

Thank you to everyone that has commented in this thread and the gallery on my kit. I wanted to let anyone who may be interested that although I'm still mad at myself I have gotten my add-on paper pack up on my blog.

I hope it's ok that I this post here, if not let me know and I'll delete this.

click on image to go to my blog and pick them up.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:06 PM
theStudio Artist

oh I am such a huge fan of TV series, I saw one chapter of DR.Who and to be honest it bored me to death, haha, but you don't have a clue on how many TV shows I watch, and mostly on line, my favorites which I watch on TV with my daughter are:
Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives
But I watch: True Blood, breaking bad, The Closer, Dexter, Bones, The Glades, Rizzoli and Isles, necessary Roughness, Falling Skies, etc, etc, etc, etc...I am also downloading new ones (the pilots) right now, hahaha, oh and I also got sticked with my daughter on Switched at birth, and off course don't forget American Idol when it comes...I am a movie and TV series wickipedia, I am an insane fan of everything in screen, that's why my son is a communicator specialized in digital edition ...and off course big screen. He studied what I couldn't, and he makes me really proud.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:32 PM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambowife Designs View Post
Okay Rose, I did a little test,
I opened the psd template which is in color profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (on the right in the image below)
Then I created a new document with the color profile of Adobe RGB (199

there is an obvious difference. And I didn't get a warning when I moved the files by dragging them to the new document. So maybe it's that hun

I'm not sure if I thanked you for helping look into this for me so, in case I forgot, thank you Tracy.

I did however, want to mention that Toiny's original template was not actually using the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color profile, it didn't have an embedded profile at all (see image below) and I think that, as well as using various CU products with varying color profiles is where my problems started.

Also, you mentioned in an earlier post that you use sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and I wanted to give you some information about it that I learned; you may wish to switch to Adobe RBG... I took some training by Deke McClellan at Lynda.com (I can provide you with is web site url if you want) and during the training I made some notes about color settings. My notes indicate that he referred to this color setting as a 'consumer' color space but that he recommended using Adobe RGB over that one. His reason was that Adobe RGB has a larger color space then the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and is therefore better when it comes to printing, he said (I quote him here) the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 'a very small color space which is based on old, rinky-dink, monitor colors'.

If you find this information useful and think it would be best posted elsewhere in the forum, please feel free to move it.

MY PERSONAL BLOG (life after a CVA)
Old 09-14-2011, 03:47 PM
theStudio Designer

thanks Rose. I might copy this to ask the other designers here what one they use and why, should be an interesting endeavor LOL. I'm pretty sure I started using that profile because that's what most kits I downloaded from stores were created in. Following the rest of the sheep I guess LOL

when I create I usually check that the item is not out of gamut, even though it usually doesn't make much difference. And I always though printers printed in CMYK but that's a mode not a profile,

It's confusing rofl!!
but thank you so much for following up with this hun
hugs
Tracy

~~ Tracy ~~
Studio Designer ~ QC Liason

Old 09-14-2011, 05:03 PM
theStudio Party Girl

I learned about color profiles & modes through the Digi Design Academy - and, you're right Tracy, it does get pretty confusing! For the life of me I can't remember a single word of what I read about it, other than you should calibrate your monitors! lol

Thanks for the info Rose, it's appreciated!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:15 PM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambowife Designs View Post
thanks Rose. I might copy this to ask the other designers here what one they use and why, should be an interesting endeavor LOL. I'm pretty sure I started using that profile because that's what most kits I downloaded from stores were created in. Following the rest of the sheep I guess LOL

when I create I usually check that the item is not out of gamut, even though it usually doesn't make much difference. And I always though printers printed in CMYK but that's a mode not a profile,

It's confusing rofl!!
but thank you so much for following up with this hun
hugs
Tracy
Yep confusing for sure!

With regards to gamut, you should be aware that if there is NO embedded color profile (as was the case with Toiny's template) then some colors may be indicated as out of gamut when they are not out of gamut with the sRGB or RGB settings. That was the case for me when I was experiencing the color shifting problem. I created a safe gamut color palette but when I moved them into Toiny's template, some of the colors appeared out of gamut. I was ready to pull out my hair in the end!

Like with most things, one has to weigh all the variables and make a 'best choice' decision for one's own situation. Here are some links you (and others) may find interesting:

• THIS one just talks simply about the difference between RGB and CMYK.
  • The following 3 explain the differences between RGB and sRGB and provide debates as to which is best... LOL, might help, might confuse more.
  1. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...obeRGB1998.htm
  2. http://www.zanzig.com/blog/?p=559
  3. http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93362

MY PERSONAL BLOG (life after a CVA)
Old 09-14-2011, 05:16 PM
theStudio Designer

On a totally random note....we have less than 12 hours til WE KNOW!!!!

Old 09-14-2011, 05:17 PM
theStudio Party Girl

LOL! Random... I like random. Random is good!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:18 PM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmedigital View Post
i agree hosting really isn't that bad - especially when you get a good deal! i really don't like 4shared (waiting for 5 minutes for a download - i'm old - i forget it's running in the background and i close the browser )
I'm old, too, and life is short. 550 seconds to wait for a download? YIKES!! I don't usually close the browser, but I rediscover that tab hours later and have to go through the whole process again. I really like Box.net, so I think I may buy the premium account on that. I'd be interested in knowing what hosts are inexpensive, and good, though. Any recommendations?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:19 PM
theStudio Party Girl

oh... speaking of random... and Tracy watching this thread....

Tracy, did you make me the Party Girl?? I mean, now that it's listed, I suppose I need to live up to the reputation here.....
Old 09-14-2011, 05:20 PM
theStudio Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberkatt View Post
LOL! Random... I like random. Random is good!
Kimberly - Massachusetts and RI are so darn close...I am wondering just how close we are! LOL

Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by donakat View Post
I'm old, too, and life is short. 550 seconds to wait for a download? YIKES!! I don't usually close the browser, but I rediscover that tab hours later and have to go through the whole process again. I really like Box.net, so I think I may buy the premium account on that. I'd be interested in knowing what hosts are inexpensive, and good, though. Any recommendations?
I use A2 hosting and have had no issues. I cant say that for my previous host but they have gone out of business. At work we use Host Gator and so far they have worked well too but we have only had that account a couple of months.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:02 PM
theStudio Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberkatt View Post
oh... speaking of random... and Tracy watching this thread....

Tracy, did you make me the Party Girl?? I mean, now that it's listed, I suppose I need to live up to the reputation here.....
rofl no that wasn't me, must have been our fearless leader too funny though!! and it suits you hee hee!!

~~ Tracy ~~
Studio Designer ~ QC Liason