Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived Events > Archived Events 2011 > theStudio Birthday Bash 2011 > Next Designer Contest 2011

Next Designer Contest 2011
Official Studio Time
Round 1: Starts September 1, 6:00 am Ends September 5, 24:00 pm
Round 2: Starts September 8, 6:00 am Ends September 12, 24:00 pm
Round 3: Starts September 15, 6:00 am Ends September 19, 24:00 pm
Round 4: Starts September 22, 6:00 am Ends September 26, 24:00 pm

Old 09-18-2011, 09:48 PM
theStudio Artist

Default Re: NDC 2011: Round 3 "The Evening News"

Thanks!

Does anyone have a tutorial for making a swirl element?
I am missing ONE element.

I made my theme Vintage Tube (for a vintage tv to watch the news on) but I am sooo out of news themed ideas.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:18 PM
theStudio QC CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnickerdoodleDesigns View Post
Cleaning up my desk this afternoon, I came across a quote I had copied down a while ago. I thought appropriate to share here, since R3 challenge was just that.. a real challenge!

"Wise are the ones who persevere in tough times, knowing that quitting is not an option."
-Sally Huss

Excellent quote. It will fit when I do the page from my awful roller coaster experience from yesterday.
m

pse-3,4,5,6, 8 , 9, 10....CS5...and PSP x3
Old 09-18-2011, 10:19 PM
theStudio Artist

which program do you use Hun?
if you use Photoshop, is very fun and easy to play with lines and effects that Photoshop has, like you make a wider line in preset shapes, just a straight one from one side to the other of the page, then you can cut in 4 or 5 parts or duplicate the same line a few times, and you ad a different effect to each part, like swirl, etc (in deform tools) and then you go and rotate, wrap, play with each layer until you like the shape , and then you can apply one of your papers to the swirl and ad a soft bevel, texture, etc.
I am so sorry, I am terrible explaining how to do something, but that's what I usually do to create most of my stuff, shapes and cutting of and layering, etc. The tutorials will guide you to a specific kind of swirl, so that's why I don't follow them any more, playing with your program and your spontaneous ideas is the best way, the worst thing that could happen is that you don't like it and you re do it again, you can also record your steps in an action so you can see later what to change , just an idea, but I am sorry I feel it won't help you much, and if you are looking for tuts, just google Photoshop tutorials, and you will find plenty.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:55 PM
theStudio Designer

Be careful ladies, you can't just scan any newspaper, it has to be old and cu allowed.
I'm sure if I scanned the paper from today there would be some infringement to that.

If you want vintage paper try an old book store, they have lots of books and old papers that are now out of print or public domain. I bought an old dictionary from 1897, it has an old crossword that someone used as a bookmark and it was from 27th July 1932. funny the things you find eh!!

~~ Tracy ~~
Studio Designer~Creative Team and QC Liason

Old 09-18-2011, 10:58 PM
theStudio Designer

to make your swirl I would draw it and then scan it, then trace over it in your program. be sure to check that the edges are smooth before you add anything to it to pretty it up too

you could also try using some shapes and then after you rasterise the shape layer you can erase the parts you don't want and build a unique swirl that way

~~ Tracy ~~

Old 09-18-2011, 11:58 PM
theStudio Artist

Yes Karen, I would love to see what you come up with for this kit. As with what Joanne said too. War has affected all of our families in one way or another. My family was not directly affected by the Holocaust but for some reason, it resonates deep in my mind. I get a heavy heart whenever I hear the stories, but it is also a reminder that it could happen again if we don't change things.
My dad's family originally came from Denmark. In the small fishing village in the north where my family lived (and some still do), they hid Jews in the attic of the church and then took them on boats at night to Sweden across the sea. I am very proud to know my family did what they could during that time.

Whatever you come up with, I know will be beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakleidesigns View Post
Oh Hun, I deleted most of it, but I made a promise to my parent's long time ago to make a really good one , so I promise I will make one, the problem is that I would like to make it as real as possible and that means with Yiddish word art , lyrics, sayings, songs, and also a lot from Poland, Germany and the countries my family scape to which are Uruguay, Argentine, Israel and their traditions, so is a real mix of stuff that I have to order property, but I will, I promise.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:20 AM
theStudio Scribbler

The original question about packaging said, "are we using the same packaging at in round 2?" Originally Posted by prettyingreen

And the answer was, "No. You may use your own. Please do not use a packaging you have purchase. Good question!" Originally Posted by piggyscraps

I take this to mean that No, you don't HAVE to use the same packaging, you may use something different if you choose, but it is not required. Is this correct?

If I am wrong in my interpretation, can I change my preview if the deadline hasn't passed?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:40 AM
theStudio Designer

Hmm on reading it again the use of "may" does make it a choice for you all.
But using the template Toiny gave you last round would be using something cu wouldn't it??
that's how I took it, it's cu so I'd say play it safe and don't use it
Sorry hun

~~ Tracy ~~

Old 09-19-2011, 12:41 AM
theStudio Designer

yes you can change it before the deadline

~~ Tracy ~~

Old 09-19-2011, 08:05 AM
theStudio Hybrid CT

Okay, I finally uploaded mine. This round has definitely given me the most anxiety about my kit. I had it all planned out with a really great theme but my camera would not cooperate so I had to switch gears. I have been waiting to upload it. I guess I though it would magically get better by itself
Anyway here is what I came up with, it is called Informed.
I love neutral pages with one splash of color. I decided to keep most of it with with palette colors and add just a few things with color and pattern so they will jump off the page when they are used. Plus since it is such a small kit it gives it more variety to have it mostly neutral. I hope I got that across since the colors are not intertwined throughout the kit.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 AM
theStudio Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambowife Designs View Post
Be careful ladies, you can't just scan any newspaper, it has to be old and cu allowed.
I'm sure if I scanned the paper from today there would be some infringement to that.
I'm glad I came to the forum before I downloaded my kit, I didn't realize that scanning a newspaper I was infringing the copywrite law. I need to change a couple of things now.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:57 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Regarding the Newspaper thing:

is a TV listing considered under copyright? It's public information and I thought public information was okay? I know you can't plagiarize the contents of an article, but using it for design purposes as a picture should be allowed, no? Copyright gets more and more confusing every time I try to understand it! LOL!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:26 AM
theStudio Artist

Okay I didn't see the post about newspaper till after i finished my kit. Is it the wording or the actual wording. I have already deleted the title. Can I remove the wording and just use the paper?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:15 AM
theStudio Picasso

Regarding US copyrights, check out this link. It's geared toward genealogy, but I think the basic info is applicable. http://www.pddoc.com/copyright/genea...ndamentals.htm

Basically, facts cannot be copyrighted, but the original expression can (the creative layout of the facts) - not sure if TV listings are creative?? Also, if ancestry.com or genealogybank, etc digitize an old document or newspaper, I believe that they own the copyright to the digitized image even though the original is public.

Then again, there is also fair use...
Old 09-19-2011, 02:05 PM
theStudio Designer

I just wouldn't use anthing that is in print now.
so many things like names and images in a newspaper are unusable simply because the person or thing in the writing or image is copyrighted. for example advertising, you couldn't use a page with advertising on it in case that logo or name in the ad is copyrighted. You just have to be careful is all I am saying. I choose to play it safe and not use anything new when it comes to stuff like newspapers and books. If it's an old paper you're pretty safe but today's paper I wouldn't use.

~~ Tracy ~~

Old 09-19-2011, 02:07 PM
theStudio Designer

Just another note and then that's my last word on it LOL...
I don't want you all running out and changing your kits, you worked so hard. Please know that I am not going to go hunting down newspapers to see if every word in an overlay is okay to use, only obvious things are going to make me do a search. Like if you use a Newspaper with an advertisement for disney on it or something as obvious as that.

~~ Tracy ~~

Old 09-19-2011, 02:34 PM
theStudio Picasso

Well, I've posted mine and with hours yet to go... last round I was down to the last half hour!

I didn't have time to comment on anyone's kits last round but I'm hoping to make time tomorrow to do it for this round; I know how nice it feels to get comments. --- Thank you to everyone who took the time to comment on mine! Very much appreciated!

OK, now the BIG question for everyone today... LOL, are you nervous??? I wasn't allowing myself to get my hopes too high on rounds 1 and 2 but for some reason, this round has got me all a jitter.... AND, I don't think there are enough emoticons/smilies to choose from here!

Good luck all!

MY PERSONAL BLOG (life after a CVA)
Old 09-19-2011, 02:42 PM
theStudio Hybrid CT

I was calm and cool the last two rounds as well but this one is so different. I am driving myself crazy! I am not sure if it is because my first goal was to make it to the top ten and this is it or if it is because I don't have as much confidence in what I created. Thursday seems such a long way off
Old 09-19-2011, 03:10 PM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalscrapfun View Post
...Thursday seems such a long way off
Oh my yes! I agree... I think I'll do some MUCH NEEDED house cleaning! It, and other things, have been low on my list this month.

MY PERSONAL BLOG (life after a CVA)
Old 09-19-2011, 05:11 PM
theStudio Designer

rofl Rose, the dust just comes back anyway
do some file cleaning and cu checking, get yourselves ready in case you make it to the next round!!!

~~ Tracy ~~