Go Back   theStudio > Just for FUN! > General Chatter

General Chatter If you have something to say this would be the place to do it. Post anything you want here and if I get enough of a certain subject I will set up a forum for it, Thanks, Toiny

Old 09-01-2011, 10:13 AM
theStudio Picasso

Default Hard drive died.Anyone try the freezing technique

I have read in forums that you can freeze your crashed internal harddrive ,reinsert & for short time you can use it ( to quickly transfer files off to EHd etc)
Anyone every try this? Any hints to watch out for? This doesn't ruin the computer itself does it? Hard drive need to be frozen in a ziplock bag or not?
I am tempted to try this but alittle hesitent cause I don't want to wreck the computer. I am getting a new harddrive for it.But I sure would like to be able to retrieve some of my most important lost stuff

Old 09-01-2011, 10:40 AM
theStudio Owner

Default Re: Hard drive died.Anyone try the freezing technique

My back-up EHD did this the other day. We did it get re-booted, however, my husband mentioned this as an alternative. Said the tech guy at work recommended it. I'll ask him more when he gets home, but it seems to me worth a shot to get all those precious memories back!

my email
Old 09-01-2011, 11:00 AM
theStudio Artist

I have heard of it on Kim Kommando's Digital Goddess show..I so hope it works for you...my heart hurts all the way to my tummy when people lose important things on puters! Good luck!

Old 09-02-2011, 04:40 PM
theStudio Picasso

I'd like to give it a try. Just need to figure what all I have to unplug etc.Before taking out the HD. I got my phone thru cable too so I need to really know what to do so I am not without phone & cable tv etc too lonng. I got that triple package so I just need to think it through. Cause I can't take too much time hooking it up again --the hd will warm up & not work then. have to be pretty fast I think.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Chit Cat

Hope this works for you. Let us know. It may be a good thing to keep in our bag of "if you need it" tricks
Old 09-15-2011, 07:34 PM
theStudio Party Girl

Oh, Joanne, you're in the same boat as me!! My hard drive failed about a month ago before my auto backup did it's thing, so I lost a months worth of purchases, pages & designs I had been working on.... we can't get the HD fixed just yet, money's short with the holidays coming up, we have a pretty large family on both sides, so lots of presents to get... I will be very, very interested to know if this works... Toiny, tell Dave we're waiting on his knowledge & wisdom