Go Back   theStudio > ARCHIVES > Archived Events > Archived Events 2011 > theStudio Birthday Bash 2011 > Next Designer Contest 2011

Next Designer Contest 2011
Official Studio Time
Round 1: Starts September 1, 6:00 am Ends September 5, 24:00 pm
Round 2: Starts September 8, 6:00 am Ends September 12, 24:00 pm
Round 3: Starts September 15, 6:00 am Ends September 19, 24:00 pm
Round 4: Starts September 22, 6:00 am Ends September 26, 24:00 pm

Old 09-24-2011, 07:59 AM
theStudio Designer

Default Re: NDC 2011 Round 4: Midnight

mine is half done, i think i would have finished it yesterday if i would of focused lol
Old 09-24-2011, 08:38 AM
theStudio Party Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlespooky View Post
got my alpha done, busy googling looking for images to get ideas from...this will be fun, i feel really crappy right now, i have a sore throat and runny nose..ugh! i drank some theraflu hope i can get the kit done
{cough} {cough} {sneeze}.... I know how you feel....... pass the tissues..... AAAACHOOOOOO!!!!

I have to go start my layout for Scrapping Survivor.... it's only due tomorrow....
Old 09-24-2011, 10:56 AM
theStudio Designer

i did my survivor layout as soon as i started feeling better
Old 09-24-2011, 01:00 PM
theStudio Party Girl

I haven't been in to peek at any of them yet, I try to stay clear of the gallery until mines done and uploaded or I tend to copy-cat subconsciously! lol
Old 09-24-2011, 05:54 PM
theStudio Rembrandt

els better but i am still achy....got some papers and elements done...should be okay to get it done by the deadline...i will have to try the zicam too if it works that good..thanks everybody! can't wait to see your entries....xoxo
Old 09-24-2011, 09:47 PM
theStudio Designer

mine's done and it's beautiful! i've just got to QC it and upload so it prolly wont get in until monday, since i'll be out all day tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:00 PM
theStudio Rembrandt

mine is getting there and i am loving it..heehee! can't wait to see your kit rachel!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 03:07 AM
theStudio Monet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambowife Designs View Post
By the way just so you know, I will be quality checking the last 10 kits in this round. So keep your quality high ladies it will effect my vote though I am not sure the other judges will be as picky as me rofl (evil laugh!!!)
Hope you can answer a question about a problem I'm having with this round's kit. I've got a dark palette, and the dark blue is difficult to keep in gamut (the gamut is really small for the dark blue range). I get it corrected by changing to CMYK, then back to RGB, save the paper or element, check the gamut again and it's ok. Then I close the file and reopen, and the gamut check shows more out of gamut pixels. I'm tearing my hair out over this, because it keeps happening. I'm wondering why, thought it might have something to do with the compression of saving to jpg, but it's happening with png files, too. Help!!
Old 09-25-2011, 04:37 AM
theStudio Owner

That's an interesting one Dona. Try dragging the element into a new file, make sure the gamut, color profile, everything is set consistent, save as a completely new file, when you save do not save as "optimized". See if anything like that works?

I wish I knew the magic answer to this one.

my email
Old 09-25-2011, 08:29 AM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by donakat View Post
Hope you can answer a question about a problem I'm having with this round's kit. I've got a dark palette, and the dark blue is difficult to keep in gamut (the gamut is really small for the dark blue range). I get it corrected by changing to CMYK, then back to RGB, save the paper or element, check the gamut again and it's ok. Then I close the file and reopen, and the gamut check shows more out of gamut pixels. I'm tearing my hair out over this, because it keeps happening. I'm wondering why, thought it might have something to do with the compression of saving to jpg, but it's happening with png files, too. Help!!
Same exact thing is happening with me (happened in round 3 too... some may remember I posted about my colors 'changing') but yesterday, cutting severely into my design time, I did a rather exhaustive search and test on all the options for changing the color profiles, embedding or not, and saving. I finally found a process that keeps the files 'clean' after saving. I will work on putting together for you now (with screenshots) but I wanted to post this first to let you know it was coming.

MY PERSONAL BLOG (life after a CVA)
Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 AM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by donakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofthethorns View Post
Same exact thing is happening with me (happened in round 3 too... some may remember I posted about my colors 'changing') but yesterday, cutting severely into my design time, I did a rather exhaustive search and test on all the options for changing the color profiles, embedding or not, and saving. I finally found a process that keeps the files 'clean' after saving. I will work on putting together for you now (with screenshots) but I wanted to post this first to let you know it was coming.
I don't have time to get into the 'Whys' and 'Wherefores' about all of this at this time so I'm just presenting you with the basic steps to follow to produce gamut 'safe' end products... and my apologies for the BIG images, I didn't know the limitations of this site and, well, as you know, I have time constraints (wink).

1. Set your default color settings to Adobe RGB rather than to sRGB (This can, and has been, debated by many but the short of it is, Adobe RGB gives you a larger pallette with which to work and your end results are brighter then what you’ll get with sRGB and since you'll be processing them to be gamut safe anyway, there should be no 'color problems' arising from your end results.)
  2. Be sure that your New Documents use the color profile of Adobe RGB (1998).
  3. Change the color mode (not the profile) to CMYK (But first, be sure to save your project and then delete all unused layers and merge the used ones (don't flatten, just merge - I use the Ctrl + E option after selecting all the layers in the layers tool box).
  4. Revert back to RGB mode.

Aside from checking the gamut again on all the finished files, the key to knowing you've succeeded is to check the file properties (you can see this on .jpg files but not .png), the color calibration should show as 'uncalibrated' and not as 'sRGB'.

I sure do hope this helps you!

Old 09-25-2011, 04:20 PM
theStudio Designer

I would just like to say that I think my kit is lonely in the gallery all by itself.....LOL

Old 09-25-2011, 04:39 PM
theStudio Artist

Wow! great tut Rose, i'll have to fix my settings when i get home on my computer. i'm out at a friends house and using my netbook.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:16 PM
theStudio Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickilyn View Post
I would just like to say that I think my kit is lonely in the gallery all by itself.....LOL
It's really good. Mine was on a roll yesterday but then I saved as a flattened image by mistake and everything is uneditable now, lol... DO OVER... Yesterday was just ummm, practice?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 PM
theStudio Picasso

Quote:
I really don't know how you, or any of the other speedy designers, can manage to do a kit so quickly... I'm amazed, impressed and jealous, LOL. I'm a slow designer, very slow... I've never been able to take the ideas in my head and easily translate it into an art form, regardless of the medium. For me it's a a constant learning process; I often start out trying to accomplish one thing but then end up with something else entirely, LOL, which then leads me on another path then the one on which I started. I'm sure that one day I'll be totally bonkers as a result!

Old 09-25-2011, 07:20 PM
theStudio Designer

Rose -
I am not as fast as you think on this one...as I had previously mentioned I had started this kit several days before the contest subject was announce - I did it for me - truly - it's a color combo I love - my bedroom is done in these colors. And because this is the color combo I would have chosen for "midnight" - I went with it.

Also - I use a lot of styles, actions, brushes, etc. It's just how I design. I have just learned the art of extraction - the word scared me silly about 6 months ago.

At the same time - I could never create what you do. Everybody has a different perspective, and therefore, creates something different - even with the same theme and color palette (not that we were given a color palette this time...)

I am sure you will have something wonderful in the gallery by the deadline!

Old 09-25-2011, 07:57 PM
theStudio Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktanker View Post
It's really good. Mine was on a roll yesterday but then I saved as a flattened image by mistake and everything is uneditable now, lol... DO OVER... Yesterday was just ummm, practice?
eek! i hate when i do that and before i got my new pc with tons of ram i would forget to keep saving stuff and ps would quit....i hope you can get it done...have to more elements to do the rest are saved and qced and i have to qc my papers yet
Old 09-25-2011, 07:58 PM
theStudio Rembrandt

Quote:
i know i keep looking to see if there are any more..lol! i think i might be #2 in the gallery if i get done tonight but i only have an hour until bedtime so i might have to finish up after work
Old 09-25-2011, 08:25 PM
theStudio QC CT

Quote:
I think you did great...but I'm not a judge, ...just an old scrapper highly opinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktanker View Post
Send to me.... I'm here for you.S
Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofthethorns View Post
Super- you nailed this and how wonderful you are sharing!

I make my rounds in digi land. I am thrilled you shared this.
You are super.
m

pse-3,4,5,6, 8 , 9, 10....CS5...and PSP x3
Old 09-25-2011, 09:07 PM
theStudio Rembrandt

Thanks Rose for the awesome tut!!! as a designer i am still always learning i guess that is how we all get better..sssssooooo! i had to show you my preview. since hallowwen is right around the corner i had to do a witchy/wiccan kit with of course a full moon in it..btw,,i adore the moon...everything is checked and ready to be put in folders and then zipped and 4shared will have to do that tommorrow after work.
here is my preview. i am very happy with it...i never used posers before but i liked these..i changed them up a bit..