Pastor Henry Holtkamp
Heinrich Hermann Holtkamp, b. 1 May 1824, Ladbergan, Prussia, Germany to Johann Herman Heinrich and Anna Katherine Elizabeth Konig Holtkamp, m. 1st. Christine Elsabein Telljohann, 24 Mar 1859, Harrison County, IN, 4 children; m. 2nd. Hilke Johanna Willms, 24 Jun 1869, Adams County, IL, 9 more children. Henry d. 1 Feb 1908 in Mt. Sterling, Brown County, IL; Christine d. 23 Dec 1865, Elberfeld, Warrick County, IN; Hilke d. 22 May 1898 in Mt. Sterling, Brown County, IL.
1837 Johann and Anna Holtkamp left Ladbergan, for Bremen where they traveled to America on the Bark Atlantic, arriving in Baltimore, MD 28 Oct. 1837, Henry was 14 years old. Upon arrival in Baltimore they embarked for Nordmerika, Ohio but they settled in Dubois County, IN.
Henry attended Illinois State University, Theological Department where he received his degree in Lutheran Ministry. His first years in the ministry were spent in the State of Indiana.In the 1860’s Henry moved to Pea Ridge Twp., Brown County, IL and held German services in various home of the congregation. Rev. Holtkamp hauled his organ around to the various homes where the services were held in his buck board. He was also appointed the teacher for the children of the congregation.
The first church, built by Rev. Holtkamp and men of congregation, for this assemblage was a 20x20 log cabin, built on donated land by Enne Ennen, heated by a pot belly stove, ladies sat on one side and men on the other.
Rev. Holtkamp was the pastor from 1866 – 1878, and along with his wife, Hilke, son, William and daughter, Rosette lie buried in Becam Cemetery just west of where t